Monday, March 23, 2009

From ADN.COM

Mount Redoubt erupts

Long threatening Mount Redoubt erupted about 10:38 p.m. Sunday sending an ash cloud an estimated 50,000 feet into the air.

For two hours, prior to the eruption, scientists at the Alaska Volcano Observatory had noticed seismicity at Redoubt has increased significantly and reported at the heightened levels of seismicity, there could be a quick escalation to eruptive activity.

The volcano had been on Orange "watch" status for most of Sunday after activity had begun increasing Saturday.

  • Location:West of Cook Inlet, 103 miles southwest of Anchorage
  • Type: Stratovolcano
  • Height: 10,197 feet
  • Last erupted: 1989-90

---------------------------------------

I was just about to head to bed as the dumb movie I was watching at the apartment was over. My phone started vibrating -I hate getting calls from anyone after about 11pm because its never good- expessially when its mom or dad. This call was from dad- he's at the airport with first hand notice of the Redoubt eruption. Purpose of the call- true to pattern not good- he proceeded to lecture me about no having an air mask with me- then I remembered out of the blue that one was in my car from service tonight- such a random thing- but thank God for plan b for my service. Dad in his freak mode (love you daddy) told me to go to the house. It was an eerie drive over as I only saw a couple cars but the sky is clear and the winds are in our favor. The reality is that the winds shift ever so slightly we'll be affected to what to degree depends on the wind. I know who directs the wind- He'll keep us safe.


Right now I'm comfortable at mom and dad's place- and wondering if I have to go to work in the morning. The responsible person in me praying that I can go. The 23 yr old in me is excited about a day off work and is in denial that it'll be without pay.

0 comments: