Monday, July 06, 2009

Big Struggles and Big Guns

Matt and I were talking about how bored I am- how I'm tired of just coming home from work and being on my own. ( I have mom but I revering to getting out of the house). He and I talked about different ideas and none of them seemed appealing if I was doing them on my own. For some reason this last week I have felt so lonely- so left out as I'm now the only one single -truly single as I'm neither married or in a relationship. Which I truly am fine with as I know that this is what God has for me right now. I have made the choice in my life to limit the number non-christians I interact with outside the work place as not to give the Devil any foot hold in my life. Even then the person in my life that I've allowed myself to get close to moved to Iowa after getting married in May.

I cherish Grace to pieces and wish so deeply that I could have her near by to truly experience having that special girl friend around but never the less God has called me here to Alaska thousands of miles from my dear friend. The result has been some lonely nights. After much struggle and prayer over this feeling of loneliness not being of God I began the search to find what there is for me outside of my job that I would feel comfortable on my own doing. I think I've found it. There is no denying the fact that I'm crazy silly about photography- its the one thing I enjoy doing on my own but that there are outlets in which to share it with other people. Mom and I talked about photography classes- actual classroom time- I have a full time job and am dedicated to my commitments to the Church that I feel that would be more of a stress at this time then a pleasure. So the google search began and I found a photography club :-) It is at my discretion to what I partake in. There are wonderful seminars to go to, workshops and outings that I can pick and chose to my liking. When I found this club an excitement arose in me and so my prayer is that not only that I enjoy it but that it maybe a way to minister. You can't reach souls if you never leave the 4 walls of home, work and church. I've always said Lord help me find away to use my photography for you. I want to be the servant who God has given a talent to and comes back having multiplied it. There is no reason that this just isn't a sanity saving outlet for me but a soul saving one.

There is a seminar at the end of the month and the next meeting is the beginning of Aug. :-) . I feel an excitement and a peace. It may seem so small but God is in the small decisions too.

Another thing I hope to get active in doing is target shooting. I really enjoyed it when we out a couple weeks ago for a late father's day. Now I'd def. not be doing this alone but hopefully with Dad, Matt and even Mom. I maybe a good shot with a camera but a hand gun is another story. I wasn't bad but there now is that challenge to improve. Here some pictures:


As we headed out Wasilla I kept myself occupied while Nathan and Mom slept and Dad drove

The location was AWESOME

The weather was fickle as it couldn't decided wither or not it wanted to be sunny or if it wanted to pour down rain. I put the hood on my lens, cut a whole in the bottom of a plastic bag to poke the lens through and covered up my camera and took picture. Got to keep the camera safe :D

In this picture you can see the rain coming down
Dad was afraid of getting wet I guess as he pulled out the umbrella while the rest of us just pulled up our hoods and proceeded to get soaked and have fun 
Matt is a fantastic teacher- he displayed such patience  with us and made it simple to comprehend.
Dad and Tim stood back and watched
Once we got our quick lesson on the 22 and the guys shot a bit with Dad's 44 the target was shot up so we pulled out cans and Matt pulled out the big gun :-) oh this was so much more fun to shoot. 

Dad shot 4 holes in his can in a perfect straight line- I know I have a picture of it but could find it to post.
Matt was the last one to use the bulls eye target in which he shot up the middle very nicely
I never saw him with a gun while he was in the Marines but I can just picture it now.
It was intimidating for me at first but Matt displaying such patience put the gun in my hands gave me some instructions and was excited to try it once Tim had his turn.
Matt filled Tim's can with water so when Tim shot it blew up. I love his expression- pure joy at hitting the can and he looks totally redneck lol
he hit it at the base and sent it off the ground- he looks so proud of himself :-)
I bravely turned my camera over to Tim so I could shoot. Here I'm waiting for Matt to place the can for a target thus the reason the gun is pointed down as we forgot to place it before we loaded it. 
the wind blew the can over and so I ended up putting a hole straight through the bottom of it. May seem cheesy by I kept my can- I was rather proud of my first attempt
Dad clearly enjoying himself which was the whole point of the day. 

It was Nate's turn 
Even with the weird weather the area was still amazing 
Now this may surprise you but Mom even took a few shots with the semi-automatic and made Dad proud.
She got up on the back of Tim's truck in order to have extra support to make up for her bad arm. Got some couching from Matt

and pulled the trigger 
Doing some awesome damage to an AMP can

Living here in Alaska there are two pictures Ive been wanting to get but never seem to have my camera on hand  and thats a picture of a private plane flying over the mountains and then the big fighter jets that love to fly so low. Where were shooting was next to a public private plane runway and at the end got to watch a couple take off and land.


5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

The Photography Club sounds neat. Up until we moved to Virginia I've always been in some sort of club outside church; either PTA, decorative painter's club, or some other women's club. It was my only exposure to people outside the church circle. I've had limited success at getting anyone to come to church with me but it offered many opportunities to witness about Christ and His Church. I've made many friends through these extra clubs and it gave me a creative outlet. I wish you well on your club experience.
The pictures are great! I always enjoy viewing your pics. Thanks for sharing.
It may be hard for you to picture a white headed jumper lady shooting guns, but I'm actually a very good shot. Usually. :-) I'll always remember the time we were shotting skeet off my folks' deck and I splattered the first three clay pigeons to smitherenes. I put the shotgun up quick so as to not ruin my perfect score. It was especially sweet because one of my brother-in-laws had missed repeatedly with the same gun. HA! Sweet victory!

Momma Tammi said...

Great pictures and the shooting looked like a great time. Our family does that on occasion. I don't do rifles, they usually kick too hard for my shoulder, but I'm deadly with a .45 or 9mm handgun.

I am excited for you and the photography club. If I had more time, I would probably do the same thing. Would like to hear about the projects that you get involved in and see the fruits of your labors.

Unknown said...

that sounds perfect for you! i know i have always enjoyed participation like that. it will be good for you to have that creative outlet.
can't wait to see the pictures you crank out!

Jessa Stephens said...

We should let Tim know how photogenic he is!!

The Middle J said...

LOL!! Sis Smith I believe it- I really enjoyed it which rather surprised me.

Sis Tammi- thats what I thought to thats why I was nervous at first but that semi automatic has next to no kick -I liked it better then the 22 because of the scope which made it so much easier to line up on the target.

I'll def. let you know- the subjects in the next couple months is on marketing (which I'll really enjoy), macro photography, lighting, and editing - sounds very interesting and the best part is its FREE- you pay for some of the events they go to like the fair (admission and such) We'll see what happens I'm excited

Jes you are so right- I was looking at pictures and those that he has no clue I'm taking so he's not cheesing it up are awesome