Thursday, August 14, 2008

Every year there is something that stands out in my mind about each Assembly- 2006 it was the time of prayer and fasting, 2007 it was actually several of the messages Bro Hawkin, Bro O'Dell, Sis Prince, Bro Jernigan (sp) and this year no different. Last year I was unable to attend the FOTW service and actually missed the pre-assembly and the first 2 sessions. I was determined that was not going to be this year. I changed into church clothes in the Charlotte airport and we headed to FOTW as soon as I was off the plane. We ran a little late but made it. Sis Smith was sitting in the perfect spot for pictures and there was space beside her so I decided to go sit by her. Bro. Anders was in the middle of sharing the history of FOTW when a plane flew over. I turned to Sis Smith and asked if that was just a coincidence or planned she said she didn't know. I looked around and saw Bro Werkheiser so I knew it wasn't him in the plane. It wasn't long before the plane came back over and Bro Anders answered the questions in our mind. The plane flew over several more times before Bro Byers turned the service over to Bro Grayson for the message. It was so very awesome. The heat was a bit much for this Alaskan girl. I was already felt nasty from flying but was begging for a shower by the end of the service. As hot as it was though I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Seeing everyone sitting around the pavilion I wondered what it was like before it was changed. I was so young that I dont remember much- the only thing I can remember is climbing prayer mountain and going to each stone and running my hands along the engraving and reading each of the stones. I can't do that now with out my heart breaking but it makes me cherish the heritage that started there even more. For me this was a huge highlight of the Assembly.

Once in the SUV heading back to Cleveland I curled up with my pillow and had got a much needed nap before I knew it we were at Cracker Barrel with Bro and Sis Williams.

I was never happier to get a shower while everyone else napped. The heart breaking part was when I went to load the FOTW pictures from the SLR camera I was using. Im not sure what I did but I managed to erase all the pictures. THANK GOD!! I had taken some pictures with my powershot. Even more thankful the picture above with the plane was on that camera. Out of nearly 3,000 pictures- (986 pictures of the service and 310 of fellowship kept) this picture is my favorite.

That evening Bro Dupre joined us at our table at Steak n Shake and we sat for way to long talking to him as he shared about his different trips- I think he had dad even more terrified to fly haha. I enjoyed every second of it.

I dont think I missed taking a picture of anything hehe- I feel like I didn't just take pictures but actually captured moments of the assembly. I promised myself I wouldn't hide behind the camera and I wouldn't allow it to keep me from receiving the blessings the Lord had for me and boy did I get blessed :-D

I wasn't going to post yet because I'm not done posting pictures but they should be up on the church website soon- I'm almost done uploading them and then Bro Grayson can do whatever it is he has to do so ya'll can view them. They are also on my photo album site http://photographybyjenna.myphotoalbum.com. They aren't all there yet. I've got 2 1/2 sessions left about 50 pictures to upload. I've been doing both websites at the same time as my photoalbum allows me to upload a hundred at a time so I get that going as it does take forever. Then upload individually each one for the church website.

here are a couple of my favorite





5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki Smith said...

Oh, I'm SO GLAD you're back! And I love the photos, and especially your thoughts about the Assembly. I, too, feel like the FOTW service adds SO MUCH to the Assembly experience. The airplane flying over was just AWESOME. At first I thought maybe it was coincidence, but it was obvious just a couple of minutes later that it was planned. How neat it would have been if they'd have been allowed to drop tracts. The pilot had them in the plane, but we were told we weren't allowed to do it so Brother Dewayne had to call him and tell him not to drop them out. :-( I was too young back when they used to do that with the White Angel Fleet. I'd like to see what it looks like when they do that, and get a feel for how the folks felt back in those days. Oh well. The plane flying over made my heart pound! It was SO NEAT! -- It's too bad you had to leave before Brother Chris preached. You'd have had fun trying to keep up with him with your camera. ;-)

Vicki Smith said...

I just went and watched your slide show. GREAT pictures! I especially love the ones of Brother Hawkins where you've caught him in the middle of one of his shouting/running incidents. They happen frequently so it's not too difficult to get a photo opp, but he moves pretty quick and it's got to be hard to get a clear photo of him right in the middle of the activity! :-)

The Middle J said...

I was rather excited to get a picture of him that didn't blurr out after him. Though it looks cool it made me happy to get a snap shot like that.

The one thing that didn't excite me were those stairs they sadly interfered with a couple pictures that would have been awesome.

I watch Bro Chris's and had the same thought.

J Nowling said...

The pictures truly capture the Spirit in the assembly. I felt like I was there again. Great job.